Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pie Recipe:
A homemade pie filled with creamy chicken, bacon and mushroom, served hot and crunchy.
Although pies are readily available – nothing beats a homemade pie. And no other pie (in my opinion) gives a more homely response than a chicken pie. I really love this recipe, and am sure that you will enjoy it too.
For the pastry, I normally buy frozen puff pastry. Allow to defrost completely before attempting to use it. Again, homemade pastry is always better, but it makes the meal quite time consuming to make
- Frozen puff pastry or make them yourself (find the recipe here)
For the filling:
- 500ml / 2 cupschicken
- 250ml / 1 cupcooked bacon
- 2 Tablespoons / 30mlbutter
- ¼ cup / 75mldiced mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons / 30mlflour
- ½ cup/ 125mlwater
- 1 chicken stock cube – dissolved in 250ml/ 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup / 125ml milk
- ¼ cup / 75ml cooked peas.
- It is easiest to cook the chicken and bacon together in a baking dish first. Place the chicken at the bottom of a baking dish, and lay the bacon on top of it, so that the flavour soaks into the chicken. Cook for about 45mins at 180°C. Once cooked, cut the chicken and bacon up into small pieces.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the finely diced mushrooms, and cook gently for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour. Slowly blend in the water with stock cube dissolved, and the milk. Stir until smooth. Add the peas, bacon and chicken and allow the mixture to cool.
- While the mixture is cooling, it is a good time to get the pie dish lined with pastry.
- Divide the pastry into 2. Roll each piece into a circle. Put one of these into line the pie dish.
- Put the mixture into the pastry. Moisten the edges of the pastry first, and then put the second circle of pastry on top.
- Gently press the edges of both circles with a moisten fork to seal. Trim the edges neatly, and press with a fork. Decorate the top of the pie with off cuts of the pastry.
- Brush the pie with milk, making two slits at the top, and bake in a hot oven (220°C) for 25 mins, then a moderately hot oven (190°C) for 15mins.
- Allow the pie to cool slightly before serving. I have served the pie here with seasoned potato wedges, and a nice green salad.
You may also Like;