Lemongrass infused spicy crab stick cakes served with a quick wasabi mayonnaise.
It was when I saw these beautiful pink, absolutely gorgeous crab sticks at the grocery store, I could not resist picking up a packet. I have never handled crab myself before and though it was a ready to eat frozen pack of crab sticks I still didn’t know what would be the best way to serve it. Though unsure of what I wanted to do with the pack I finally defrosted it and thought of making a nice salad, but then the smell was overpowering and I knew Mr. H would not be able to handle it in its present form. So the idea finally happened and I what followed next resulted into a recipe that was going to become my favorite party starter for days to come.
Lemongrass, that is my favorite aromatic this season is an integral ingredient, and then the fresh spring onions, garlic, ginger and green chilies simply helps spike up the regular crab cake and make it an absolute stunner. When paired with the wasabi mayonnaise, it makes such an excellent party recipe to add some glamour to our Diwali Card Parties.
Ingredients (Makes 12 cakes, serves 3-4):
- 250 gms Crab sticks
- 2-3 spring onions
- 2 thick lemongrass sticks, about 2 inch each, use the soft portion from the bulb end
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- ½ inch garlic
- 2-3 green chilies
- A bunch of coriander, about ½ cup when chopped
- 1 and ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Some red chili flakes, optional
- 1 large egg
- 1 heaped tbsp corn flour
- Oil to fry
- Lemon wedges to serve
For Wasabi Mayonnaise:
- In the chopper attachment of the electric mixer/blender, add the garlic, spring onion bulb, ginger, green chilies and lemon grass and run the chopper once.
- Then add the spring onion greens and coriander and blend again. Finally add the crab sticks, make sure you squeeze out all the excess liquid before adding, and give it a couple of whizzes to combine everything.
- Scrap it out in a mixing bowl, mix apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to state. Then add an egg and corn flour and mix it well and shape into a small disc shape patties.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan and shallow fry until golden on both sides. Strain a on a kitchen tissue.
- To make the dip combine the mayonnaise, wasabi paste, lemon juice and mix until it emulsifies. Serve it with the crispy hot patties and some lemon wedges.
Dos and Don’ts:
- This recipe can be prepared with prawns or any other fish too, infact good crab meat would be great too.
- Adjust chillies and garlic to taste.