Classic Baked Chicken Spaghetti Recipe:
Quick, simple and basic baked spaghetti with chicken, deliciousness in simplicity.
I have tried preparing spaghetti the conventional way. However, when somebody told me that there was a baked version to the dish, I felt a little skeptical. However, considering the experimental cook that I am, I knew I had to try it right away. The outcome of course was such a welcome surprise that the plate was licked off in no time.
Ingredients (Serves 1-2):
- 250 grams of whole wheat spaghetti,
- 200 grams of boneless chicken, cubed into small pieces,
- 6-7 cloves of garlic, finely chopped,
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped,
- 1 large capsicum, finely chopped,
- 1 tsp each of dried oregano and basil,
- 1 tsp of red chili flakes,
- Fresh basil leaves (optional),
- 2-3 tsp of extra virgin olive oil,
- 3-4 cheese slices,
- 5 small tomatoes, blanched and pureed,
- 100 ml of cream of chicken soup (Try Knorr),
- Salt to taste
- Boil the chicken pieces, until cooked and keep aside. Use the same water, to cook spaghetti. This will allow the spaghetti to absorb the goodness and the aroma of the chicken. Strain and keep the cooked spaghetti aside. Do not throw away the broth. Keep it for re-use.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, take some extra virgin olive oil and add the finely chopped garlic, followed by onions. After sautéing for about a minute or two on high flame, add the finely chopped capsicum and cook for a minute.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 3 minutes on low flame. Into this, now add the diluted cream of chicken soup and cook. The broth should be thick and creamy. At this stage add the leftover chicken cum spaghetti broth, in small additions. Bring it to a boil stage before adding the dried spices.
- Since I had some fresh basil leaves, I added them along with the dried herbs. You can skip using dried basil if you have substantial amount of basil to support the spaghetti sauce.
- Once it starts boiling again, toss in the boiled chicken pieces and salt and cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Take a glass casserole and drizzle some olive oil over it. Now layer the dish with cooked spaghetti, the prepared sauce and a final touch of cheese slices. Place it in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted or could be seen bubbling.
- Garnish with some more dried herbs before serving hot onto a plate.
You may also like;