Chocolate Rum Christmas Cupcakes Recipe:
Chocolate rum cupcakes with a Dark Chocolate Rum Ganache topping and a white chocolate snowfall.
This one’s a much delayed post on my special Christmas cake. As you know I was lagging far behind with all my Christmas preparation so I dropped on making the entire dinner at home and by the time these little heavenly devils were ready to be served our friends had already arrived. No, it wasn’t a party but only some close friends meeting over a couple of drinks, close talks and home delivered dinner, blessed to be living in the times when great dinners are just a call away. Oh and I am certain guessing (wink) they were just a couple of drinks that left us hangovers for the entire 26th or it could just be the sudden drop in temperature here in Delhi. So, now that I’ve established my justifications for posting this one so late I can take a moment to tell you that these muffins were purely sinful. Yeah, coco passion, rum and dark chocolate ganache, it all sounds too fancy I know but If you loved chocolates, specially a little darker ones (but not too dark), and were lucky to get a bite of those muffins you’d more than agree with me.
PS:- Delhi’s gone cold, real cold and it’s a shame that it doesn’t snow here. I mean wouldn’t it be great if we could enjoy some white fur too, we are already braving the freeing chill. And there’s my reason for not posting this one on 27th too, I slept through the entire day in front of the T.V snuggled inside a comforter.
Ingredients (Makes 12 regular cupcakes):
- 1 and ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cups white crystallized sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cups softened unsalted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 and ½ tsp baking pwd
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Dark Rum
- ½ cup Boiling Water
- ¼ cup Canola oil
- A little white chocolate to grate over
For the chocolate ganache:
- ½ cup thick cream
- 50 gms (1.76 oz) dark –sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp melted butter
- 2 tsp Dark Rum
- Heat oven to 180oC. In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Blend sugar and butter together in your food processor or using a hand blender until they are smoothly blend.
- Then add one egg at a time and whisk each time till the texture is creamy. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Line or grease cupcake tin/tray and keep aside.
- Now, pout the egg-sugar mixture to the flour mixture and mix lightly using a spatula. Then add canola oil and fold it into the batter. Finally add the boiling water and Dark rum and mix only to fold everything together.
- Immediately fill up each mould up till 3/4th its height by carefully dropping in a big spoonful of the batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Keep on a wire rack to cool.
- In the meanwhile prepare the Ganache : Bring Cream to a boil, add the butter and broken chocolate. Simmer and continuously sir till the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Finally stir in the rum and remove from the heat. Use immediately.
- Drop approx 2 tablespoon of the ganache on the top of each cupcake. Allow the excess chocolate to drip off and leave on the wire rack to let the ganache set.
- Grate white chocolate on the top before serving.
- Like always, do not over bake, be careful.
- Do away with the ganache to cut down on your sins a bit
- Like always again, do not mix the batter too much, else you may end up with a hard cake that has not risen.