Chili Coriander Fish Curry Recipe:
A spicy Bengali fish curry recipe, the delicious Lonka Dhone Baata Maach.
Popularly known as ‘Lonka-Dhone baata maach’ in Bengali household, this lightly spiced fragrant aromatic fish curry used to be my childhood favorite in winters. Come winters and my mother would keep a jar full of green chilies and green coriander paste in fridge, to whip up the spicy green curry with steamed rice on a perfect cold winter afternoon.
To create the dish in my typical nostalgic way, here is what you will need for the recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
- 300-450 grams of fresh fish (Try rohu or Catla),
- A bowl of fresh coriander leaves,
- 4-5 green chilies,
- 1 ½ tsp of ginger paste,
- Salt to taste,
- 3-4 tsp of oil for cooking,
- 2 small tomatoes, pureed,
- 1 tsp of curd,
- 1 tsp of red chili powder,
- 1 tsp of coriander powder,
- 1 tsp of sabut jeera or cumin seeds,
- A pinch of sugar
- To start off, first smear the fish with some turmeric and salt and deep fry in oil. Do not discard the oil, as some of the fish oil could be used for preparing the curry. Keep aside the fried fish.
- Now, prepare the paste of coriander leaves, green chilies and ginger paste, with some salt in your regular mixer. The texture should be thick and slightly coarse to look.
- Take some used fish oil in a kadai and add some sabut jeera, followed by the green paste until lightly fragrant. Add a pinch of sugar now. Fry well until thick and fragrant.
- Now add the pureed tomato and fry for another minute, before adding the ground spices like coriander, red chili and salt. Make sure the salt content is less, as we already add it while making the green paste. Fry well.
- Lastly, add a tsp of fresh curd and stir in until oil leaves the sides of the kadai. At this stage, add some water and allow it to boil.
- Once the curry comes to a boil, add the fried fish pieces and let it simmer for some time, before taking it off.
- Serve it with a handful of fresh coriander leaves and enjoy it with a bowl of steamed rice in winters.
Dos and Dont’s:
- Just remember to adjy=ust the maount of Chillies to your taste.
- Use mustard oil for the smoky authentic Bengali curry.