Chicken Sausage Spring Rolls with Mint & Cream Sauce Recipe:
It was during my grocery shopping early this month that I had picked a packet of rice paper and it has been lying there in my stock. In fact I often pick up a lot of stuff just like that, while most of it I try and use before they reach expiry but some do cross the line and get wasted. I am so obsessively compelled at those times that I can’t pull myself away from the colorful packets at the grocery store shelf. It’s the exciting possibilities that snap through my head while looking at those ingredients that I am often left with an inflated bill at the end. While I do always resolve not to buy stuff without a definite plan but I just fail to keep it. Wonder, if its just me alone or are there some of you too who share this ‘compulsive buying disorder’ with me?
Nonetheless, I’ve once again resolved to improve on the habit (lets see how i do when i go shopping next), for now I am happy about having done justice to at least one of those ingredients. The pack of rice paper was more than well consumed in preparing a fresh and crunchy brunch of Chicken Sausage Spring Roll with some Mint & Cream Sauce.
Ingredients (Makes 6 rolls):
For the Spring Roll:
- 6 cold cut chicken sausages
- 6 rice paper, 8 inches diameter
- 6 lettuce leaves
- ½ cup fine diced cabbage
- ½ cup fine diced carrots
- ½ cup fine diced shallots
- ½ teaspoon of dry Basil
- Salt & Pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
For the Mint & Cream Sauce:
- 100 grams fresh mint leaves
- 1 hot green chili
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon whipped sour cream
- Juice of ½ a lemon
Preparing the Sauce:
- Blend mint leaves, green chili, garlic, lemon juice and a couple of pinches of salt together in a grinder.
- Add only enough water to make a thick paste.
- Remove the paste and add to it the entire sour cream, whip them together and the sauce is ready.
Arranging the Spring Rolls:
- In a frying pan heat a tablespoon olive oil, add the cold-cut chicken sausages stir fry for a minute or two.
- Add the half of the spring onion, a pinch of salt and dry basil and fry for another minute.
- Then add about a teaspoon & half of balsamic vinegar, give a quick stir and remove from the fire.
- In a salad mixing bowl, mix the cabbage, remaining spring onion, carrots and toss together with salt, pepper and few drops of extra virgin olive oil.
- Now, take water in flat bowl and immerse the rice sheet in water for 3-4 seconds and spread flat on a towel. Repeat for each rice sheet one at a time, do not worry the sheets softens on its own after a couple of minutes after being spread on the towel.
- On your work surface place the soften rice sheet, place one lettuce leaf at the centre along its diameter.
- Over the lettuce arrange the already prepared cabbage & carrot salad followed by a chicken sausage.
- Dress with a little mint & cream sauce and then fold in one lengthwise end over the filling and then roll in both the breadth wise ends enclosing the entire filling. Leave the second lengthwise side open.
- Serve the fresh crunchy Chicken Spring Rolls with Mint & Cream Sauce.
While I love my Spring Roll Fresh & Crunchy, I also did a deep fried version of a few of these rolls to suit the taste buds of the two men in my life, my dear Hubby and my little bro (who is not that little at all just about 3 yrs younger).
Would love to know how do you like your Spring Rolls, Fresh & Crunchy or Crisp Fried?
The deep fried Chicken Sausage Spring Roll Recipe:
- The process remains common till step 7 above. Then simply fold in the spring roll from all sides this time. Please note, we are not adding Mint & cream sauce to the filling here.
- Ensure that the entire filling is enclosed together and all sides of the roll are sealed.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan; deep fry each spring roll one at a time until golden and drain.
- Serve hot with Mint & Cream sauce.
Dos & Don’ts:
- Try this recipe with your own choice of filling; add shrimps or cottage cheese or mushrooms or prawns etc. The original South East Asian recipe always has boiled & drained Rice Vermicelli included in the filling.
- Replace the mint sauce with hot Thai Red Sauce and enjoy the spicy flavor.
- Do not add any sauce to the filling of the fried version as it may otherwise ooze out while deep frying and spoil both the oil and your rolls.
- Do not soak the rice paper in water for longer than 3-4 seconds else it will become too soggy to handle later on.