Chicken Salami with Julienned Salad Recipe:
Quick Grilled Chicken Paprika Salami with a julienned Carrots, Shallots and Bell Pepper & A hot tomato, chilli and cream pesto.
I didn’t cook any special brunch for us this Sunday. Frankly my Saturday night dinner was quite a lot of effort already and so Sunday had to be laid off and I thoroughly enjoyed the Aloo Parathas with curd that my cook served straight off the Tava(Flat skillet), absolutely hot and crisp. By the evening of course I already had twitchy legs that walked me to my kitchen and fidgety fingers that went fiddling through the kitchen shelves and finally came to rest only inside the fridge. Yeah, there were the chicken salamis that I had bought along with the mutton for our Saturday dinner. I pulled the pack out of the fridge and kept aside to bring it down to room temperature. Now because it was evening and those Paprika Salamis were beautiful and I already had fidgety fingers, I had to calm them down by offering (some bloood), some finger food or hors d’oeuvres as they are better called. The confession, I could not resist popping in two of those gorgeous salamis just like that, I needed to add fuel to my thought. And the end result was thoughtful indeed, a plate that was delicious to look at and nothing less when eaten.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 10-12 Chicken Salami Slices, I used paprika flavoured salami
- ½ of each medium size red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 3-4 small shallots along with the tender greens, julienned
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- A handful of basil leaves
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Salt & pepper
- Dry oregano
- Extra Virgin Olive oil or any other dressing oil
- Tooth picks, equal to the number of salamis
For the Chilli Pesto:
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- 2 hot red dry chilli
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoon sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Juice of ¼ the lemon
The Chilli Pesto:
- Place the tomatoes and unpeeled garlic over a hot grill and char them completely. Then quickly char the red chillies also, be really quick for it burns real fast.
- Let them cool down and peel off the skin from tomatoes and the garlic.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, chillies and salt in a blender and make a paste. Then add sour cream and lime juice and blend again. Strain and keep the pesto aside.
Arranging the Salami with Julienned Salad:
- Mix julienned shallots, pepper and carrots together in a mixing bowl. Then add salt to taste, entire lemon juice and mix again.
- Dress with dry oregano, pepper and olive oil and toss the salad together.
- Now heat an open grill to high and brush it with just a little olive oil, place each chicken paprika over the grill.
- Grill the paprika only from one side for just 30 -45 sec to get the beautiful grill marks.
- Place the salami on your work surface grilled side down. Now place a small bunch of the julienned salad along the diameter of each salami.
- Now pick the two parallel ends of the salami and fold it over the filling and lock by sliding in a toothpick. Also slide one basil leaf across each toothpick. Serve along with the Chilli Pesto.
Dos and Don’ts:
Nothing except that you may slather a small amount of the pesto over the salami before place the julienned salad over them. But be careful for this one’s a real hot pesto so I’d better serve it separately for the not so strong hearteds.