Chicken Narangi Korma Recipe:
Spicy yet mellow thick orangy gravy with soft boneless chicken chunks, leave a delicious impression.
The day that just went by had two extreme points, one being an ultimate satisfaction in the way my Chicken Narangi Korma turned out . The other being an absolute disappointment in the latest release ‘Ramleela’ , the Bhansali style grandeur and larger than life set-up did not impress. The movie to me appeared nothing more than a remake of the earlier released Ishaqzaade. Despite Deepika’s gorgeous lehngas, loud garbas, striptease by Ranveer the movie fell short to impress, the end being rather predictable and story a drag I ‘d not recommend it.
The high point of the day and highly recommended is this recipe here, it may not quite be modest to praise one’s own recipe. But, blessed with a palate for taste myself and my official taster’s (Mr. H who else) approval, I’d say this is a great party recipe to be served with breads of your choice. It’s soft, mellow gravy with a twinge of spiciness and the well cooked boneless chicken cubes smeared in that gravy just blows you over in each bite. The beautiful intense orange colour and balnced sweet, soud, mellow, spicy gravy makes it a perfect party recipe too, do try this Chicken Narangi Korma and get all the accolades that you can in that next party.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
- 500 gms boneless Chicken, cut into 1 & ½ inch cubes
- 4 medium Onions, aprox 250 gms, 3 sliced and 1 quartered
- 1 & ½ tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 & ½ tsp Red Chilli pwd
- ½ tsp turmeric pwd
- ½ tsp pepper pwd
- 1 tbsp thin ginger stripes
- 2 green chillies, cut to stripes
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 3-4 cloves
- A 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 med oranges, 2 chopped & 2 juiced
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 tsp roasted saunf (fennel) pwd
- 2 tbsp cashews, made into a thick paste with water
- 1 tbsp thick Curd
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken with 1 tsp red chilli, entire ginger garlic paste and a little salt for 1 hr to overnight. Remove it from the fridge and keep outside for ½ an hr before cooking.
- Heat oil and ghee together in a wok, add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and fry til just fragrant. Add the chopped onions and fry for a min, add turmeric pwd and fry for half min. Then add the entire marinated chicken with the marinade.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes, ginger stripes and fry for another minute. Cover cook for 10 mins and then remove the lid, add the quartered onions and keep frying till the oil starts to separate. Then add the pepper pwd, chopped orange, curd and continue to fry on medium flame until the oil separates and the chicken is cooked.
- Then add the entire orange juice, mix well and let it just come to a boil. Dress with salt and turn off the heat. Mix the roasted fennel pwd and Garam Masala pwd.
- Finally top up with the cashew paste, green chillies and serve warm with bread.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do try the recipe with the boney chicken too, trust that would be equally good.
- Do adjust chillies to your taste in the recipe, for if your orange is too sweet you may need a little extra to add spiciness.
- Do replace the vegetable oil with an equal quantity of ghee for higher indulgence.