Chicken Ham Sandwich Recipe:
This Sunday I had to pull up a rushed up brunch, err a heavy breakfast it was this time.. Not that we were going anywhere but instead were starving by the time we reached home after our “mini Delhi darshan” that began with seeing off papa to the New Delhi railway station for he had to catch the 6:15 am Shatabdi Express. Well the Delhi Darshan idea clicked while we were at the India Gate on our way back from the railway station. Taking cue from my casual remark “Isn’t this the best time of the day to go around our City, with no traffic or heat to put you off”, Mr. Husband pressed the car’s accelerator and we went spanning the city between India gate, to Nizzamuddin, to Humayun’s Tomb (didn’t have my camera on me to capture the serene beauty but I am soon going back with my camera that’s a promise to myself) then back to Janpath’s McDonalds to pick something from their breakfast menu, but they start their service at 8 am and there was still 15-20 minutes to go. We could have walked in to any of the many star hotels in that area and enjoyed an amazing breakfast “but I was in my pajamas and slippers”, so what he said but i was too shy that day (quite unlike me though) .
I know we could have better waited at McDonald’s as well but he was just not in the mood so we drove back home, CP to my place is ½ an hr drive but it being a Sunday shouldn’t have taken more than 20 minutes . No sooner was I home I rushed to my fridge to look for something that could immediately answer our hunger? Lucky me, I had bread and a frozen packet of chicken ham and the regular veggies that I usually have in my vegetable basket, onion, tomatoes, capsicum, garlic and lettuce (all through summers I keep a supply of lettuce, it comes handy for many summer recipes). I then poured him a glass of juice with some cookies and headed straight to arrange my yet another quick, easy and delicious recipe, Chicken Ham Sandwich.
I enjoyed my sandwich with a cup of fine black coffee but he preferred a quick cold coffee and some French fries as his add on (while I was busy arranging the sandwiches he sneaked out to the nearby ‘In & out’ outlet and returned with the frozen ready to eat pack of French fries.).
PS- I did pick some fries from his plate, unable to resist the temptation, and he kept pulling is plate back every time he saw me reaching for it.
Ingredients (makes 2 double decked sandwiches):
- 6 slices of your favorite sandwich bread (I only had brown whole wheat bread today, would have preferred an Italian bread otherwise)
- 4 slices of Cheese Slices
- 4 slices of Chicken Ham, not too thin
- 4 thin round slices of tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
- ½ bellpeper , sliced into thin circles
- 2 leaves of lettuce
- Some olives, pitted and cut
- 4 knots of clove
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tablespoon veg plain mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Sauce, I like the Indian mustard ‘basundi’
- A few basil leaves (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Assembling the Sandwich:
Preparing the dressings:
- Mix the mustard sauce with the honey, blend and keep aside
- Crush garlic and green chilies coarsely overusing a mortar and pestle, add 5-6 drops of extra virgin olive oil and the mayonnaise , mix well and fill in a squeeze cone else just make a pot folding the mixture in a cling film, cut a small hole at the centre and use as your sqeezy cone.
- Cut the hard corners off you bread loaf, lay the diagonally cut cheese slices on four loaves and toss for 30 secs only.
- Now spread two loaves on your work surface. Place a lettuce each, then some onion rings, followed by the ham slice. Now you may simply place one ham slice flat or cut each into diagonal and then fool round to make a hollow cylindrical shape and place tucked side by side.
- Now squeeze ¼ the of the mayo dressing over it, sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Then place each cheese tossed bread over it such that the cheese is facing upward and is in the opposite diagonal area as on the first bread.
- Line up with some bell peppers, some more onion rings, chicken ham slice folded or flat, two tomato slice over each sandwich, the olives.
- Finally squeeze ½ of the remaining mayonnaise over each, followed by a teaspoonful of honey-mustard dressing, sprinkle salt, pepper and add torn basil leaves. Finally cover up with the reaming two plain loaf of bread and serve with tomato ketchup and French fries.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Feel free to add or reduce more veggies or cheese or choose any other dressing that you like.
- Well you may grill your sandwich before serving, I find it unnecessary though.
- Don’t overload the sandwich I’d suggest, for it may difficult for the bread to hold it all.