Chicken Breast in Lemon Sauce Recipe:
We are just back from an exhilarating river rafting expedition over the gushing white waters of the mighty Ganges. Last two days were actually those rare days in my life when I experience an adrenaline rush almost every 10-15 mins. I am too lazy for adventures other than those with food in my life :-)) .
White water rafting is an awesome experience and i totally recommend that you must experience it at least once, though I bet if you’ve done it once you are sure going back. It was the second time for me within two years. The best part you need not even be a good swimmer, for leave being an expert I am so dead scared of water (not to mention my uncountable attempts at learning to swim ) . Although if you know how to swim its a definite advantage for you can jump-off the raft in middle and float to ecstasy without being scared. Hopefully by now that I’ve well sold the idea of “rafting @ Rishikesh” to you, just Google and you’ll find all the details you need to plan your itinerary or do write to me and i will love to help you plan one.
The only flip-side though is that you return with sprained body parts and the agony over bad food (camps serve poor food- I’ll go prepared with my stuff the next time ). Now that we are back we needed some hot and healing comfort food and a relaxing body massage. While the massage thing will have to wait till tomorrow, for now I need some food that has a punch of flavors, is steaming hot and yet light and easy on the stomach. Here’s my answer to my starving palate – Chicken Breasts in Lemon Sauce served with steaming hot Rice.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 2 chicken breasts pieces
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 2 fine chopped green chilies (seeds removed)
- ½ tablespoon lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup diced shallots
- ¼ cup fine cut cilantro
- Olive oil for cooking
- Salt, pepper & dried lemongrass
Make three parallel incisions across the breadth of the chicken breast. Then marinate in vinegar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and some salt for about 2 hours in the refrigerator & keep it out of the fridge for ½ an hour before cooking.
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil on a frying pan, sauté the chicken breasts till golden on both sides and keep aside.
- In fresh thick bottom cooking pot heat 1 & ½ tablespoon olive oil, add 2 pinches of lemongrass and once the citric aroma is released add grated garlic followed by chopped shallots & green chilies.
- Fry till the shallots turn light golden; add the grated ginger, 3 tablespoon of lemon juice and two cups of water. Add salt to taste, lemon rind and simmer cook
- In a cup mix the corn flour with some water to make a thin paste and add it to the sauce.
- Then add the sautéed chicken breast to the sauce and let them reduce together to a medium-thick texture. Do pour in more water if required to let the chicken go tender.
- Top it up generously with chopped cilantro, stir well dress up with black pepper, a little squeeze of lemon and serve hot with Steamed Rice.
Do’s & Don’ts:
- You may use boneless chicken pieces instead if you like.
- Fresh parsley would work as a good substitute to cilantro, choose the flavor you prefer.
- Do adjust the quantity of lemon juice depending on the amount of tang your palate prefers.
- Do dress up with red chili flakes if you like it hotter.
- Do not add too much of lemon rind as it may leave a bitter after taste.