Chicken 65 Recipe:
A crispy South Indian chicken snack that’s quick, simple and delicious all in one go.
It’s origin can be traced back to Chennai and it has long been served as a bar snacks before the Chicken 65 recipe gained its popularity as a snack or starters all over. It’s distinctive Indian flavours, punctuated by the tadka (tempering) of whole chillies and curry leaves at the end makes it a flavourful and aromatic dish.The beauty of the recipe is that its crispy on the crust but the chicken remains soft yet juicy within, to sum up an out an out spicy Indian tadka on boneless chicken pieces to sweep you over.
So do try the chicken 65 recipe and in case the peculiar name is making you curious too, here is what Mr. Google tells us on wiki “Many sources claim Chicken 65 was a dish introduced in 1965 at the famous Buhari Hotel restaurant in Chennai by its founder A.M.Buhari, a pioneer in the South Indian food industry”
Ingredients (Serves 2 for snacks):
- 250 gms boneless Chicken, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp curd
- 1 tbsp coriander pwd
- 1 tsp red chilli pwd
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper pwd
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric pwd
- 2 tbsp & 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
For the tempering:
- 2 whole red chillies, make a small slit in each
- ½ tsp Mustard seed
- ½ tsp coriander seed
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil or butter
- Mix curd, coriander pwd, red chilli pwd, cayenne pepper, ginger garlic paste, turmeric and salt together in a bowl.
- Add the chicken cubes and finally mix a tsp of oil and 1 tbsp rice flour to bind and leave on to marinate for 12-1 hr.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok or kadhai and add the marinated chicken cubes and fry on a high heat for 1-2 mins.
- Then lower the heat to medium and cook for another 5-7 minutes, basting with the remaining marinade in between untill the chicken is just cooked and juicy inside. Finally toss for another 1-2 mins on high flame to turn the top crispy, strain and keep on the serving place.
- Now temper the chicken by heating the 1 tsp oil or butter in a small tempering pan, add all the ingredients and let them just pop and temper the Chicken 65 by pouring on the top of the chicken and serve immediately.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Some places they add some corn flour and crack an egg instead of rice flour into the marinade and deep fry the chicken cubes and then follow the remaining steps. But shallow frying or sautéing works equally fine.