Carrot Cupcakes Recipe:
Healthy and tasty cupcakes, a perfect accompaniment to the favourite cup of coffee!
When I was a child, playing with dolls and celebrating their birthdays was a regular part of life. In those days, I still remember how the local kirana store used to sell the ‘pan’ shaped cake or rather the heart shaped cupcake, which my mother used to buy for celebrating my doll’s birthday.
Not in a mood to celebrate a doll’s birthday though, yet I thought of creating something fun for those sheer nostalgic moments. So today, I baked carrot cupcakes and enjoyed them, reliving those childhood memories of carefree and innocent play. I hope you enjoy baking and eating them too!
Ingredients (makes 24 cupcakes):
- 150 grams grated carrot
- 50 grams raisins
- 175 grams flour, sieved
- ½ tsp of soda bicarbonate
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 150 grams of soft brown sugar or demerara sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ tsp of all spice
- 3 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 100 ml regular cooking oil
- 75 ml of buttermilk
- Begin by pre-heating the oven at 180 degrees. Keep muffin moulds, lined with wrappers ready over a baking tray.
- Start by beating the eggs, kept at normal room temperature until smooth and pale. Add the buttermilk and oil and whisk until mixed well.
- In a clean dry bowl, add the sieved flour, baking powder and soda and mix well. Into this, throw in the raisins, the orange zest, powdered demerara sugar and all spice. Add the grated carrots and mix well.
- Now add the liquid mixture into this dried mixture and blend until smooth and there are no flour lumps left.
- Immediately pour into the muffin moulds, filling each up to ¾th level of the mould.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven or until done. Pierce a skewer at the center of a muffin to test if it’s fully baked or else if a little liquid, bake for another minute or two. Leave them over a wire rack to cool and then serve.
- I usually love to have my carrot cupcakes plain and simple, but many people like to have it with a hint of golden runny honey. To each his own, so try and figure out what’s your favorite accompaniment with this delightful tea time cupcake!