Recipe for Caramelized Mangoes:
Of the numerous wonderful ways of relishing the Mangoes one of my favorites is the caramelized mangoes. This simple and quick recipe is absolutely easy to prepare, has a decent shelf life and works as a wonderful topping option across desserts, especially ice creams or simply a loaf of bread toast. The dash of cinnamon that i have added here is certainly optional, however i totally love its flavor and feel that cinnamon infarct lifts its flavor by a couple of notches.
- 1 cup ripe mangoes, diced to medium size cubes (I’ve used the sweet Safeda , a variety available during the early summers)
- ½ cup crystal sugar
- ¼ cup water
- a little butter, about 1 inch cube size
- 1 small cinnamon stick.
- In a thick bottom sauce pan reduce sugar and water mixture, cook till the sugar completely dissolves.
- Add the cinnamon stick and reduce till the mixture till it golden, it would take about 5 mins on low flame.
- Add mangoes and toss gently and add the butter. Cook for another 10 mins or so, till the mangoes turn beautiful shining golden, stirring gently.
- I like it better along with some syrup still on it, while you may choose to reduce further. Turn off the stove just a minute before the final consistency is achieved for the syrup would itself thicken a little more on cooling. Serve as a topping on my “Fried Ice-cream with Caramelized Mangoes.”
This can be stored in the refrigerator for about a week and enjoyed as a topping on your favorite ice-cream or bread or yoghurt or whatever you want.
Dos & Don’ts
- Do replace cinnamon with you favorite flavoring agent or you may choose to do without any added flavors.
- Do not stir too much else you may mash the mangoes and the result will be a mango jelly, which can also be enjoyed in its own way nonetheless 😉 .