Broccoli and Pepper Stir Fry with Black Bean Sauce Recipe:
Broccoli and Bell Pepper Stir fried with lots of garlic and dressed with Black bean sauce.
Broccoli, are you serious? It’s not winters yet. If that’s what you are thinking then you are actually quite right for even I would have reacted the same way, had I not cooked it myself. My reason for going for this off season stuff : this beautiful green little fresh broccoli was lying on the shelf of my regular organic store and I just picked it. I couldn’t have used more adverbs to justify my impulse but the reason was also my love for this highly nutritious veggie, high vitamin C, good dietary fibres and is an antioxidant for all I know.
Now about the recipe, whenever I am cooking any vegetable I try to use only those techniques that helps retain the natural colour of the veggies as far as possible. And this fresh green of the broccoli I didn’t want to let go off and so it had to be treated the way that’s best for it. And that was to first blanch and then quickly stir fry and that I choose to do the Chinese way. To make my perfect stir fry I needed to add some peppers and dress up with a generous amount of Thai black bean sauce. So basically I went from Chinese to Thai and combined both to make a cuisine that spelled deliciousness in bold. Here goes the recipe for Broccoli and Peppers Stir fry with black bean sauce that I served with a lemony brown rice tossed with dry basil and sundried red hot peppers, a perfect lunch.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- One medium size broccoli, approx 350 gms with stems.
- 1 small yellow or red pepper, or ½ of one large pepper, sliced to medium size
- 8-10 cloves of garlic, or less if so you prefer, fine diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoon of thick black bean sauce, try Real Thai available at most gourmet stores
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 teaspoon white sesame
- Some water
For the Brown Rice:
- 1 & ½ cup cooked brown rice
- ½ teaspoon dry basil
- 1 red hot chilli, make a slit lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or butter
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Blanch the while broccoli with half the stems on, in enough water with salt for 4-5 minutes till just tender. Remove from water and let it cool down then cut medium size florets with little stems on.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds till nice crisp and keep aside.
- Brown rice to serve: Heat oil and toss the red chilli and add the cooked brown rice followed with other ingredients. Just one quick toss to bring all ingredients together and strain into 2 serving plates or deep bowls.
- Now heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok or deep frying pan, add the garlic and fry till golden brown.
- Then add the broccoli florets and pepper and toss for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Mix corn flour with just 4-5 tablespoon water and add to the vegetables and cook for a minute.
- Finally add the entire black bean sauce and toss everything together on high flame for 2 minutes and turn off.
- Sprinkle the entire roasted sesame on the stir fry and serve over the bowl containing the brown rice and enjoy hot.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Add your own favourite sauce for dressing
- Add more vegetables like spring onions or mushrooms to your stir fry if you like.
- Do not separate florets before blanching.
- Do not overcook the broccoli while both blanching and frying. Over frying will make it loose the beautiful colour and over- blanching will make the florets go loose and fall apart.