Black Chickpeas Sprout Salad with a Smoky Mint and Garlic dressing Recipe:
Health, taste, holiday planning and a quick chick twist to our Desi Sprout Salad.
The month just flew away in a jiffy, in fact half a year has already gone by and this once I am thinking of my resolution in time to fix it. Yeah, so I am running if only for a week now but I am finally doing it. And it doesn’t end there I am running, eating healthy and on time, but touch wood for falling prey to the attractive lazy life may just happen any day. Pray for me guys for I have to shed those extra 4 kg to reach the perfect BMI (its 23.4 I am told) before my next to next holiday for I hate looking at extra tires. Yes, next to next for my next holiday to Sri Lanka (Yay ya ya Yay…) begins on this 5th and loosing 4 kg in 5 days is not happening so I’ve shifted my targets a bit.
Diet shall play a vital role to help meet my targets, so I am eating a lot of sprouts these days. Every day I mix different ingredients to try and add a delicious zing to the boring crunch of sprouts. And the recipe I am sharing today happened a few days back and then never stopped happening, sorry what I mean is that this one combination came out to be the best, most delicious and share worthy. Read through and see if you find it interesting enough to try. My word: it is quick to make, healthy, has the smoky flavour of garlic and mint, the depth of good extra virgin olive oil and just mildly hot, do I need more reasons to make it?
Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 1 cup black chickpea sprout (or any other sprout)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin strands
- 1 medium tomato, cut into half and sliced into chunky pieces
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- A handful of torn salad leaves plus a few more to serve
- Salt to dress
For the dressing:
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 green chilli (mildly hot)
- 10-12 mint leaves + 3-4 extra to top up
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Char grill garlic with the skin over net places over a hot griddle; it will take approx 4-5 minutes on low flame. Also place the green chillies and the mint leaves on the net and char roast, mint would take just a minutes and the chilli two.
- Peel the skin of the garlic and crush grilled garlic, chilli and mint leaves together using a mortar and a pestle. Add olive oil, vinegar pestle together a few more time. Dress with salt and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl toss sprouts and onions together with salt and lemon juice and leave on for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add torn salad leaves and tomatoes and half of the dressing and gently toss together. Place a couple of extra salad leaves at the base and side of the salad bowl, top it up with the sprout salad. Now mix the lemon salt juice left in the mixing bowl with the remaining dressing and generously drop over the salad. Finally add a few fresh mint leaves and enjoy the Salad immediately.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Nothing really, just mix it when you want to eat otherwise the salt, the lemon juice and vinegar will just extract the natural juices from the veggies and together settle at the base of the salad bowl.
You may also like;