Beetroot Masala Recipe:
A spicy blend of beetroot, carrot and potatoes to make a great Dinner dish.
I have seen my grandmother talking about the all essential root – beetroot. The purplish-red root is a well-known remedy for anemia in many Indian households. Beetroot reduces bad cholesterol, helps reduce blood pressure, protects from cancer – these are just a few reasons we should include them into our diet.
So, I have prepared this recipe with a combination of potatoes and carrots along with beetroots. The flavor of ginger garlic paste and coriander powder gives the curry delicious taste. The spicy taste and succulent consistency is very lip-smacking when chewing every bit.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 Green chilies
- 1 Medium Potato
- 1 large Carrot, aprox 100 gms
- 1 large Beetroot, aprox 200 gms
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp Red chilli pwd
- 1 tsp Coriander pwd
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Urad Dal
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Once hot, add all the ingredients to temper and sauté for 5 to 6 seconds.
- Add chopped onions, green chilies’ and turmeric powder. Sauté till transparent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell disappears.
- Add grated carrot, cubed potatoes and beetroot. Sauté for few minutes
- Reduce flame, add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder and add water.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Turn off flame and remove into a serving bowl.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve warm with rice or roti.
Dos and Don’ts:
- You can add garam masala to get more spicy taste.
- You can add more vegetables to the curry.