Beetroot Fritters Recipe:
Crispy beetroot fritters served with a mustard-curd dip for a healthy yet delicious sncaking.
The beautiful red beetroots have taken my fancy off late, I’ve been munching them each day in salad for at least a month now. The inviting intense red of this fruit err veggie must have got tired of being munched on andhence pleaded to be made into some quick recipe today. Aren’t fritters or what we lovingly call pakodas or bachkas (haven’t heard that one, you need to ask any Bihari about it) are a one of the first delicious quick fixes that flash through our mind.
If it was not for the guilt wouldn’t we have some crispy deep fried snack everyday inadvertently? I would, but then guilt is a reality, can’t run away from it you know.
Though unwillingly I rathar divided my batch of the beetroot fritters batter into two parts, one part was shallow fried for the lean (lucky) hubby and the other was just pan roasted with a light brush of oil for myself. Both turned out delicious but the fried ones had the upper edge for they were way crispier. To serve the fritters I made a quick yogurt dip and it went quite well with the beetroot fritters.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
- 250 gms Beetroots, peeled and grated
- 2 medium spring onions along with half the greens, finely chopped
- 1-2 green Chilis, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- Some parsely, chopped about 1 tbsp
- 1 tsp roasted cumin pwd
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Yogurt Dip:
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard Sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- ½ tsp red chilli pwd
- Salt to taste
- Start by making the dip, mix all the ingredients together using a fork and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the grated beetroot, chopped onions, ginger, chillies and mix well.
- Crack an egg and add flour into the mixture and mix well with a spoon. Finally mix cumin pwd and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a thin layer of oil at the base of a wide frying pan (or brish with oil if just roasting), drop a heaped tbsp of mixture in the hot oil and flatten with the back of the spoon one by one.
- Cook on a medium flame and flip side using a flat turner, cook on both sides untill crispy along the sides and cooked through the centre, approx 2 mins on each side.
- Strain on a kitchen tissue, serve hot with some salad greens and the curd dip.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Replace egg with 1 tbsp of cornflour for a vegetarian version.
- Add spices to your own liking. Also mixing some grated cheese into the batter could be a great idea.