Barley and Black Grapes Summer Cooler Recipe:
A healthy yet delicious take to the old fashioned barley water with black grape juice and fresh mint.
When thinking about the best summer coolers, Barley water stands out as it is filled with benefits manifold. It’s a “Wonder grain” for many reasons such as- a natural coolant, adds probiotics to your diet, a good remedy for weak, and many more. But the best which makes me more inclined to choose barley is that it helps in trimming your waistline!…now isn’t that’s a real catch.
So all the ladies out there here’s an easy twist to the old fashioned recipe of Barley water which makes it super delicious…
Ingredients (Serves 4-5):
- Barley pearls- ½ cup
- Water- 4 cups
- Black grape juice- 1 cup
- Black Salt- 1 tsp
- Sugar- As per Taste. I used 1 tbsp.
- Honey- 1tsp (you can also increase the quantity of honey & omit sugar completely)
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Lime juice-2 tsp
- Fresh Mint leaves- 6-7 figs
- Wash and soak barley pearls for 6-7 hours in 3 cups of water. Then boil the pearls until the pearls are soft. You can directly boil the barley pearls without soaking but this method takes little more time for barley to soften.
- Strain out the liquid. Then grind the pearls with remaining water . Strain out the concentrated liquid and mix with the other liquid obtained after boiling Barley. The residue left after straining could be utilised in making porridge or for thickening curries, soups, as a salad ingredient, etc.
- Now keep the obtained liquid in refrigerator for cooling. After it is cooled down add lime juice, black salt, normal salt, sugar, honey and mix well.
- Now before serving. Mash green mint leaves coarsely, mix it with grounded ice cubes and grape juice. Add this mixture in the container used for serving. Add then add the barley water mixture.
- Serve Chilled. Enjoy summers in a healthy way and trim your waistline in a delicious way.
Dos and Don’t’s:
- You can also add in some barley paste (leftover initially) and mix it with your drink. It gives a nice chewy texture to the drink.
- You can substitute grape juice with any other juice of your choice. Oranges works best when you completely omit the salts nad increase the quantity of sugar or honey.
- You can refrigerate and store Barley water for 3-4 days.
You may also like: