Banana and Chocolate Whole Wheat Spicy Bread Recipe:
A spiced healthy whole Wheat Breakfast Bread with Banana and Chocolate Falvours.
The smell of fresh bread baking in the oven is so captivating that while I am trying to concentrate here on writing my post, all I am really doing is looking at the clock every 10-20 sec and wondering how long before the oven goes beep-beep and I can pop a bite of fresh loaf into my mouth. I am surprised myself to note that I’ve never really shared a single bread baking recipe so far despite the fact that my infatuation with a fresh loaf goes as far as early childhood. We had this good local bakery named ‘Modern Bakery’ in the neighborhood and every evening the hypnotic smell of fresh bread would rise from their ovens and hit my nostrils, and unlike my brother who’d go and but chocolates, or jellies or Chaat, I’d rush and buy a sweet bun or any small loaf and jut eat it like that. Perhaps those were the early signs of the future foodie in me that went unnoticed for not too long, well its a long story that I’d better leave to some other time.
Getting back to the banana bread, everybody loves a banana bread and with thousands of recipes already available I decided to share mine cause the add on Garam Masala (Our Indian five spice pwd) just takes it to a different plane, a smoky, spicy flavour paired with the sweet mellow banana and fine cocoa is just heavenly. There’s one more to it, the walnuts and whole wheat flour makes it a good choice for healthy breakfast bread. Infact, a slice of this with milk or coffee before the daily workout would be the right energy bite required to keep you going.
Ingredients (makes 1 loaf):
- 1 and ½ cup whole wheat flour, sifted
- 1 and ½ tbsp fine Cocoa pwd
- 3 over ripe bananas
- 3/4th cup soft Brown Sugar
- ½ cup soft butter
- 100 ml Butter Milk or Chaas or Amul Masti (That’s what I used)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4th tsp Garam Masala pwd (Indian Five Spice mix)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of Sodium
- 2 eggs
- 1/3rd cups chopped Walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 180OC. Mix Flour, Cocoa, and Bicarbonate of Sodium in a large bowl. Grease a loaf tin with butter and keep aside.
- In your food processor first cream the sugar and butter together, then crack in the eggs and process again till they are completely combined and fluffy.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour and fold everything together just till incorporated.
- Then add the mashed up bananas, vanilla extract, Garam masala pwd and mix together with a spatula until well combined.
- Finally stir in the walnuts and pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hr to 1hr 10 mins or until a sharp knife comes out clean from the centre of the loaf. Let it rest for 10 mins and then turn it out and let it cool on a wired rack. Cut into slices and enjoy !
Dos and Don’ts:
- Just make sure that the bananas are completely over ripe, that’s all.
You may Also like;