Baked Corn and Spinach Recipe:
Creamy cheesy classic baked corn and spinach recipe, comforting deliciousness.
The baked corn and spinach recipe is an absolute stunner, a perfect addition to any party menu. I mean besides being tasty it also looks quite chic when served straight out of the oven; I’ve won compliments every time without fail for this one. It’s also a great recipe to be served to a nose wincing family member (read Mr. H in my case) who’s been on a no-green mission for ages. The rich creaminess of the white sauce and load of cheese transform the otherwise boring spinach into a delectable dish. So, it goes without saying that even kids would love this Baked Corn and Spinach recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 4-5):
- 2 cups boiled spinach, approx 300 gms spinach boiled with a little salt, drained and chopped
- 1 cup soft sweet Corn kernels
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese (your favourite melting one, cheddar is great)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Chop the boiled, drained spinach and squeeze out a little excess liquid by pressing between the palms of your hands.
- Make the white sauce: add flour and 2 tbsp butter in a sauce pan and set over a medium heat to fry until the flour blends, do not let the colour change. Gradually add a little milk at time milk stirring continuously with a whisk, to ensure no clots are formed. Cook on low heat for 2-3 mins dress with salt and pepper to taste and set aside. We do not want a very thick sauce, keep it runny it should yield about 1 and ½ cup of sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 160OC
- Now in heat the remaining butter with the oil in a wok or frying pan, add the garlic and sauté for 30 sec until golden and then add chopped onions and fry together until the onions turn golden.
- Add the spinach and fry on a medium heat for a min, and then add the corn and together fry for 2-3 mins on medium heat. Dress with salt and pepper and add the entire prepared white sauce, mix well and remove from heat.
- Add the entire mixture to a baking dish, spread grated cheese on the top and grill for 3o minutes until the top is nicely browned. Serve warm with the bread of your choice.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Cook the spinach and corn longer if there is a lot of liquid, until it is almost dreid
- Season with some garam masala or oregano to suit your taste.