Apple Tart Recipe:
A quick, comforting rustic Apple tart recipe with almond flakes and cinnamon.
The rain soaked gloomy winter days are back again and so are my uncontrolled cravings. I almost pined for a warm slice of something indulgently sweet. In a battle of choice between cake and tart the later won, finally leading to a quick apple tart recipe being worked out in my kitchen this overcast day in Delhi.
I have an obsessive love for tarts; you already know it if you’ve read my earlier posts here, here and here, and here too. Though I already have a green apple tart recipe up on site but that’s an extensive recipe and little tangier owing to the green apples, while this one here today is a simple rustic red apple tart that’s easier and quicker. It’s a simple rustic apple tart, intense red apple with a dash of cinnamon, some almonds on top and a thin flaky homemade tart base, perfect winter tart I must say.
Ingredients (Makes two 9” flat tart, serves 4-6):
For the pastry:
- ¾th cup plain flour
- ¼ th cup chilled cubed butter, aprox 60 gms
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp curd, chilled
- 2 tbsp chilled water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the filling:
- 2 medium size Dessert Apples
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon pwd
- Juice of half a lemon, 2-3 tbsp
- 10 almonds, roughly chopped or 2 tbsp flakes
The pastry dough :
- Blitz the flour, sugar, salt and butter cubes together in a an electric mixer , just once so that tiny cubes of butter are still intact and not completely mixed into the flour.
- Now mix the water, curd and lemon juice together and add this to the flour mixture gradually a spoonful at a time and fold until it turns into a lump. Tip this dough onto a lightly floured surface and tap/shape into a rectangular flat dish. Wrap this in a plastic cling warp and allow to set in the fridge for ½-1 hour.
- Core and cut each apple into half and then slice it thinly into semicircles. Add the lemon juice and brown sugar to the apples and keep aside to macerate.
Arranging the tart:
- Preheat the oven to 220OC. Line a baking tray with parchment or baking paper.
- Take the pastry dough out from the fridge, place it on a lightly floured surface, spread the same plastic wrap on the dough and roll it out into approx 10” square pastry.
- Use a knife to cut off the excess and give it a square shape. Lift it onto the lined baking tray with the help of the plastic wrap and then slide off the wrap. Cut it into two rectangles through the centre and bake the pastry for 8 mins, until a little firm to touch..
- Set the oven to re-heat at 220OC.
- Arrange the apple slices overlapping over each other in a line over each pastry shell and sprinkle the cinnamon pwd on top (you may have a few apples leftover, so just pop them into your mouth).
- Pour about 1 and ½ tbsp of the sugar lemon syrup remaining in the apple bowl on the top. Then sprinkle almonds on the top and bake for 20 mins in the centre of the oven or until the tart is golden brown on top and sides.
- Allow resting for 5-10 mins, then slice it up using a sharp knife and indulge into a warm deliciousness.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Do serve with some ice cream on the top or even fresh whipped cream.
- Do not knead the pastry dough to much, just lightly fold with a spatula to get a flakier crust at the end.