Almond, Honey and Ragi Cookie Recipe:
It’s the goodness of wholegrain in these ragi or finger millet flour cookies with almonds and honey.
So what does one do when you wake up unusually early and it’s a Sunday, on the top of that Mr. H still snoring on the bed besides you? It’ what I call my me time, so all I need is a cup of my favourite tea and some good cookies to along with it. Just when it was going to be a beautiful morning, sipping tea, biting on some good cookies, enjoying the fresh breeze on the small terrace garden that’s in full bloom this monsoon, the anti climax happens.
I opened the cupboard only to find that there were no good cookie in stock, canisters all empty and the jaw started to drop. And I, having set my mind on cookies this morning, went for an early morning baking session. And I needn’t tell how comforting, almost intoxicating is the smell of fresh cookies while it is developing in the kitchen. So the morning was transformed into a special one with a bite of this moist, crunchy ragi, honey and almond cookies.
Ingredients (Makes 12 large cookies):
- 3/4 cup ragi flour
- 50 ml honey
- ½ cup almonds, powdered in a blender plus extra for topping
- 50 gms unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp bi carbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180OC, line a baking tray with butter paper.
- Mix the ragi flour, almond meal, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl. Then add the chocolate chip.
- Then melt butter and honey on a low flame until the butter just melts, and then stir in the sugar.
- Add this honey butter mixture spoon by spoon into the flour and mix it using a spatula until it just forms into dough.
- Divide the dough into equal size balls, place them on the baking sheet and tap it flat to shape as a disc. I do it between the palms of my hand. Arrange them about an inch apart on the baking tray.
- Press an almond flake in the centre of each cookie and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to rest in the oven for 5 mins and then leave on the wired rack to cool of completely before storing in an airtight container.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Adjust sugar to taste, but do remember to count the sweetness of honey.
- The same cookie can be made with any whole grain flour.