Almond Friands Recipe:
Almond friands, the French cake with a generous Orange syrup drizzle makes it super moist and delicious!
The friends are small French cakes that I had discovered last year during our memorable trails across the French moors (read about it here, here and here). The petite little sweet poisons I must warn can be addictive, and yet I wonder what took me so long to attempt one here in my kitchen, but what better than the love-week of Feb for thee almonds friands with orange syrup recipe to arrive.
A little research and I stumbled upon a recipe on a mini orange friands recipe on the site ‘lovefood’ by Jo Wheatley. Read through the recipe but wasn’t too excited about the icing sugar topping so I instead made slightly bitter orange syrup and turned my almond friands into a super moist cake. And latter upturned the entire recipe and finally got something more rewarding, or at least I think so. Let me warn you, its addictive, one of my best ever cakes, never received better compliments for a cake and I am in love with them, to say the least.
Ps- Goes without saying, it’s a must try. Their small bite size makes a great hors d’oeuvres for any party.
Ingredients (Makes 6 small friands):
For the Almond Friands:
- ½ cup Almond meal (or coarse almond pwd, about 1/3 cup almonds will give your ½ cup pwd)
- 1/3 rd heaped cup of Plain flour
- ½ cup Icing Sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp zest of Orange
For the Orange Syrup:
- 1/3 cup fresh orange Juice
- ½ cup castor sugar
- Peel of half an orange
- 2 tbsp water
The Almond Friands:
- Preheat the oven to 200OC. Grease or line a small muffin tray or ramekins.
- Beat the egg whites untill its frothy on top. Use and electric beater or a fork.
- Now sieve or mix, flour, alond meal, icing sugar together in a mixing bowl. Then add the orange zest and mix
- Finally add the butter and beaten egg whites and fold everything together using a spatula.
- Spoon this mixture upto half the height of the muffin moulds. Bake for 18-20 mins until golden on top and a skewer comes out clean though the centre.
- Leave on in the oven for 3-4 mins and then unmould onto a wired rack and allo cooling for 5 mins.
The Orange Syrup:
- Remove the pith from the orange peel using a thin sharp knife (ref pic), then slice the rind into thin strips using a sharp knife; retain about 1 tbsp of the rind strips.
- Now add all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer and untill the mixture thickens to syrup.
- Serve the almond firands with a generous drizzle of warm orange syrup on top.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Replace orange with a flavour of your own choice, I reckon lemon would make a great choice too, or even strawberries or blueberries.
- Adjust sugar to taste, this will give a balanced sweetness.